Friday, February 24, 2012

The Countdown

We're just a little less than two weeks away from being able to see each other for the first time since Christmas, and the days cannot move quickly enough. On the one hand, it feel like it was just a few days ago that we were waking up together on Christmas morning, having breakfast and opening gifts in the glow from the Christmas tree. And on the other hand, we can feel the emptiness in our arms. We ache to be near each other, to have just one touch. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic  
Christmas Time.

I miss her running her fingertips up and down my arms, often simultaneously sending chills down my spine and relaxing me beyond belief. She misses my back rubs, how I work out the kinks from her day and run my nails up and down her back with what she calls the softest hands. It is terrible and painful to be apart, but it has also made us appreciate and cherish the moments we've had together that much more. I can almost run a slideshow in my mind of all of the amazing times we've had together in the short amount of time we've actually been able to spend in each others presence. 

I ask myself everyday what I did to get so damn lucky.

In just a couple of weeks, I get a week off of work for Spring Break. I will, of course, be spending this week with my love. We will finally be able to celebrate our one year anniversary, a month late. We plan on renting a hotel room (with a jacuzzi!) and just spending the night "away" together. The next day will be focused on just spending time together and enjoying being with each other. Depending on the weather, we might go to Greenfield Village, which is something we've been meaning to do for over a year now. Or, we might do something a little simpler, like a nice lunch out and perhaps a movie. Honestly, it doesn't matter what we do. We have the best time just being together. We have the "best friend" part of the relationship down pat. :)

The rest of the week will be a little more business-oriented. While our big move coming up, we have a lot to do to get ready. I'll do some training at her current job for a position I may take over, we want to start getting the house organized and cleaned to move, and make a written plan for finances and all that other fun grown-up stuff.

Speaking of the big move, we are only about 4 months away! It seems like a crazy long time, but we've made it three times that long already. Long distance relationships can be tricky, but we are living proof that, if you are meant to be together, they can work. We've had our share of struggles and miscommunications, but they are pretty rare. My biggest piece of advice to anyone going through a long distance relationship- talk things through! We have never pushed problems aside or kept them bottled up. We might get agitated for a little while, but we don't go to bed angry and we don't let things go without having talked through them. It can sometimes be tough to make myself voice these things, but she makes it pretty easy. Over time, I've gotten really good at being open, which was always a huge struggle for me. My whole life, I've kept things inside. Not with her. And that is one big key to making it this far, this far apart.

Well, my girl is fast asleep right now and it's about time I follow suit. Big things are happening this weekend, but that will be another post. Sweet dreams, friends.

2 comments:

  1. 4 months will fly by..... It will be here before you know it ...so exciting xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey....we have awarded you The Versatile Blogger Award...... wooohooo :)))

    Check it out :
    http://www.kikiandlalainwonderland.com/2012/02/versatile-blogger-award.html

    Kiki & Lala xxx

    ReplyDelete